Estimated reading time: 1 minute(s)
Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside. I love the texture of waffles which is why I use this recipe on the weekends regularly for breakfast or brunch. As you know I love to experiment and so today I’ve brought you some Sweet Potato Waffles, a savory version of traditional waffles.
Typically potatoes are used for savory waffles, but I chose sweet potatoes instead; they have less starch and better nutritional properties.
The Benefits of Sweet Potato
Sweet Potatoes or Yams as they are also known as are the perfect potato substitute. The consistency is similar and their sweeter taste makes them irresistible.
- A powerful antioxidant: Its high flavonoid and beta-carotene content help fight stress and the formation of free radicals.
- Easy to digest: recommended for people who suffer from digestive problems, ulcers, gas, and bloating thanks to its high content of phytosterol.
- Strengthens the immune system: helps fight viruses and bacteria and prevent diseases. There are even studies that show that it helps fight different types of cancer.
- High concentration of Folic acid: which is especially good for pregnant women.
- Also rich in magnesium which helps to reduce tiredness and fatigue.
Sweet Potatoes have quickly risen to fame with foodies around the world. I suggest always having some on hand around the house as you will be sure to incorporate them into many recipes.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and even snacks… you will be using this dough so much that it’s better if you make enough for leftovers. That way the next time it will take you just 10 minutes to make your Sweet Potato Waffles.
Or better yet, make a bunch of dough and then freeze them. That way you can take them out individually to defrost as needed. Good idea, don’t you think? 😉
For today’s recipe, I decided to pair my waffles with some slices of smoked salmon, fresh cheese, and Almond Cream to give it a toasted touch. But you can add whatever you prefer to your Sweet Potato Waffle: Chicken, Avocado, Tofu, Egg.. the possibilities are endless!
Sweet Potato Waffles
- 1 sweet potato
- 100 gr organic butter
- 1 tsp yeast
- a pinch of salt
- 2 cups of nuts (Almond, Hazelnut, Walnuts or Pecans)
- 5 eggs
- Smoked Salmon
- Fresh Cheese
- Black Pepper
- Almond Spread
Grease the waffle iron with olive oil.
Peel and grate the sweet potato.
Place the ingredients for the dough in the mixer and mix well.
Put the dough in the waffle iron and cook for 8-10 minutes.
Remove from the waffle iron and add your toppings, in this case, I chose to use smoked salmon, fresh cheese, capers, chives, freshly ground black pepper and a touch of almond cream.
Interested in more Waffle recipes?