Estimated reading time: 2 minute(s)
Our new products are deliciously sweet but don’t contain a single gram of sugar. What’s our secret? Replacing traditional refined sugar with chicory fiber, a natural sweetener that not only gives our products the perfect sweet touch but is also super healthy for the body.
Chicory is a perennial herbaceous plant that has been used since man began cooking for its healing and medicinal properties. Depending on the part of the plant used, it provides different benefits. The root is where you find its sweetening properties and this is the part we use in our chocolate bars, spreads, and toppings.
We obtain this by mixing the ground chicory root with water. Then, through a physical process (no additional ingredients are added) of filtering and centrifugation, we get the insoluble part, which is what is used as a sweetener. This is where the magic of being healthy and taking care of your body while still being able to enjoy something sweet is possible!
Why use Chicory Root as a Sweetener?
- Good source of fiber: Sugar destroys our microbiota, and chicory does the opposite, it renews it. The fiber (prebiotics) of chicory prevents constipation, strengthens the immune system, improves digestion, helps drain, fights fluid retention, detoxifies the body…
- Low in calories: Chicory contains less than 20 kcal per 100 grams of chicory.
- Naturally sweetens: Remember that pure cocoa is not sweet, so to make it more appealing to our palate we add this sweetener.
- It is filling: Its high fiber content makes us feel full longer, avoiding the constant urge to “snack”. Your brain will immediately say “stop” and you will avoid overeating.
- High vitamin and mineral content: What stands out is its high levels of calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus.
- Rejuvenates: It is also a source of antioxidants such as beta-carotene and provitamin A, which makes it a protective ingredient against free radicals that cause oxidative stress and premature aging.
- Neutralizes and reduces blood sugar levels: According to several clinical studies, such as the one conducted by the Functional Food Centre by Oxford Brookes at the University of Oxford, UK, prebiotic chicory root fibers can significantly lower blood glucose response when used to partially replace sugar in food.
In general, we are aware: sugar is one of our body’s biggest enemies and it must be avoided. Did you know that chicory has been one of the most searched terms on Pinterest this year? Must be for a reason, right?
Health authorities are also working on ways to reduce the amount of sugar in the products we eat, as its excessive presence in our food is related to problems of obesity, diabetes, skin aging, insatiability… it is in almost everything, from sliced bread to juices, jams or yogurts, and even in “pure” chocolates with high percentages of cocoa.
There is also the problem of many products having “sugar-free” labels that are honestly a bit misleading. True, they do not include traditional sugar but they do add artificial sweeteners and polyols.
So, if you want a cocoa snack packed with flavor,energy and pure happiness than try our newest products: