Estimated reading time: 2 minute(s)
Being in low temperatures can be uncomfortable, but you have to look for the positive side of everything and the reality is that there are numerous benefits of cold. For instance, smoother skin and for the body in general, so I will take this opportunity to share my tricks with you and get you feeling great too.
Following the method of Wim Hof, “the ice man”, a few months ago I started to incorporate cold showers into my morning routine and they have already become a must for me. The results have been incredible, because it gives me a surge of energy that lasts for the whole day and it is a natural antidepressant. Cold showers is something I will continue to implement all year long.
Effects of cold showers:
- Help lose bad fat: according to a study published in the journal Cell Metabolism, it seems that cold causes white fat, better known as bad fat, to transform into brown fat or good fat, which is what provides energy and warms the body.
- Improves blood circulation: when we shower with cold water, the blood vessels contract and immediately dilate again, favoring venous return and the proper functioning of the circulatory system. I notice that the body is feels lighter, less swollen and heavy.
- Relieves Pain: Many athletes, in fact, use these ice-cold showers to regain muscle after training. The cold prevents inflammation and also fights fatigue.
- Resistance to cold increases: in this society we are used to being comfortable. We have heating at home, clothes to keep us warm … but this can decrease our tolerance level to adverse conditions. Therefore, experts say that exposure to cold makes us more resistant to it.
- Improves the expulsion of waste: cold not only improves the circulatory system, but also the lymphatic system, which is responsible for eliminating toxins, fats and all waste from the body.
- Increases energy: the activation of the body and the skin through the cold, puts us in a state of alert and wakes us up more than two cups of coffee.
- Improves mood: cold water stimulates the production of norepinephrine in the brain, which generates an improvement in mood, relieving stress and anxiety. Other studies indicate that it also causes a decrease in cortisol level.
- Improves the immune system: there are studies that assure that a daily shower of cold water causes fewer colds and diseases to appear.
- Healthier skin and hair: Cold water makes hair shinier and less shedding. The skin is toned and the dryness caused by hot water is avoided.
Shall we start? Some simple ways to get the benefits of the cold on your body:
- If you want to include, like me, this wonderful technique to stay young and healthy, I recommend that you start the day by submitting yourself to a 30 second cold shower.
- Start the shower with lukewarm water and gradually lower the temperature.
- Each day, add more time, and never exceed five minutes in length.
- Ideally, this cold shower is in the morning so that you have energy throughout the day
- When you finish the cold shower, dry off and bundle up.
- When you’re done, treat yourself to a hot drink, like Golden Milk (Leche Dorada) and a little rest on the couch.
- Do not overcoat: spending a little time in the cold increases resistance to it and strengthens the body.
- Ventilate the house: do it at least once a day. Also, try to keep the bedroom cool, according to many experts keeping it between 16 and 19º helps you sleep better.
- Go for a walk or play sports: low temperatures improve performance, and burn more calories.
- Use cold effect creams: they are perfect for improving blood circulation, relieving swelling and heaviness in the legs.
- Place ice over the eyelids: a simple and cheap method to reduce inflammation. In a few days you will notice how the bags and dark circles disappear.