Estimated reading time: 2 minute(s)
Healthy microbiota is synonymous with good health. As we have talked about in other posts, by improving the health of our gut bacteria we can prevent many pathologies like; depression, irritable bowel syndrome, osteoporosis, constipation, diabetes, obesity…and so on.
So, how do we look after our gut bacteria?
As with most cases, there are foods that help balance our gut bacteria, particularly those that contain inulin. Inulin is a lesser-known natural component found in the root of some plants, such as chicory root for example.
Benefits of Inulin:
- The fructose from inulin isn’t absorbed in the stomach or small intestine like normal fructose, rather it reaches the colon intact, where it becomes food for the good bacteria.
- Good bacteria created by inulin serve as a protective shield against pathogens and also boosts the immune system and prevents disease.
- Creating more good bacteria naturally fends off the bad bacteria creating a better intestinal balance.
- It is a very good source of fiber, especially soluble fiber, which helps improve digestion, and prevents constipation and intestinal inflammation.
- Easing digestion also helps with bloating and gas…
Chocolate Bars with Inulin that increase your microbiota.
There are products on the market that artificially add inulin, but at Natruly we like to get things straight from the source, and we’ve done just that by including chicory root in all our chocolate products such as; our famous Chocolicius bar, our super snack Cacao & Nuts, and our best selling Hazelnut and Cocoa Spread.
The process is quite simple: we take some ground chicory root and mix it with water. Then, through several physical processes by spinning and filtering the mix, we finally get the insoluble part (with no added ingredients) and that is what we use in our chocolates.
The Result: A delicious, functional food
Oftentimes, we hear about the benefits of certain foods, but in the long run, we don’t usually include them in our day-to-day diet as they lack versatility and aren’t really tasty.
Well, we can guarantee that that won’t happen with our chicory fiber chocolate because not only does it contain inulin but it is sugar-free and the taste is simply divine! We have worked tirelessly to make sure that it is something that you can enjoy on its own or in other recipes. Finally, a treat that tastes good and is good for our intestinal health!
My 3 favorite ways to enjoy our chocolate: