Estimated reading time: 1 minute(s)
Traditionally, this is a time of abstinence and austerity. During Lent, meat consumption is restricted so people eat more fish and other energetic foods that also brighten our palates a little, such as Torrijas.
Cod is the fish of the season! Rich in protein, easy to preserve, and with a thousand ways to cook it.
Benefits of Cod:
- It is good for bone health thanks to its high content of calcium and phosphorus.
- High protein content makes this great to gain muscle mass and have more energy.
- It protects the heart and circulatory system thanks to omega-3 fatty acids.
- It contains a lot of selenium, a mineral that is very beneficial to the proper functioning of the thyroid gland, plus it boosts the immune system and reduces free radicals in the body…
- Lower risk of high mercury content because it’s a small fish.
- Anti-inflammatory effects
- Easy to metabolize.
Today I’ve prepared this spectacular dish for Lent: Cod Fish with a green sauce.
Cod Fish and Green Salsa
- 400 gr codfish
- 10 fresh, closed clams
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4 onion
- 1/2 handful fresh basil
- 1/2 glass of water
- onion chopped into very small pieces
Place the spinach, onion, garlic, basil, and half a glass of water (hot) in a blender. Add salt, and pepper to taste, plus a dash of extra virgin olive oil. Blend well until the sauce becomes smooth and has a uniform texture.
Pour a good splash of oil into a frying pan. When the oil is hot, add the cod (cut into pieces). After a couple of minutes, add the clams. Lower the heat to medium.
Turn the fish over and let it cook on the other side.
Remove from heat after the last clam has opened.
Place the fish and clams in a deep dish. Drizzle with the freshly made green sauce.
Garnish with some chopped onion and salt flakes.
And, we can’t forget about dessert! Here is Natruly’s take on Torrijas: Gluten-free and loaded with chocolate. Get your hands on some of this amazing Cocoa and Hazelnut Spread before it runs out of stock again! It’s the secret to making these extra delicious, yet healthy Torrijas.
Gluten-Free French Toast
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml of almond milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Cocoa and Hazelnut Cream (to taste)
- 4 slices gluten-free bread slices
Mix the egg, cinnamon and milk in a bowl. Beat well so that it is a homogeneous mixture.
Cut the bread into thick slices (about 2cm thick) and soak them in the previous mixture for a couple of minutes.
Put a little butter in the pan on medium heat and flip the toast back and forth for a minute or until golden brown.
Remove the toast and spread the Cocoa and Hazelnut Cream.
Finally, stack the toast, cut them in half and get ready to enjoy!
Chef's tip: add a topping! Perhaps you can drizzle some syrup or jam on top, or if you prefer a more refreshing option, some fruit such as blueberries, strawberries or kiwi pieces.
Fun Fact: Did you know that in the 15th-century Torrijas were the most recommended dish for women after giving birth?