Estimated reading time: 2 minute(s)
“Nowhere else has Nature concentrated so many valuable nutrients in such a small space as the cocoa bean,” that’s how the naturalist Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859) spoke of the benefits of cocoa hundreds of years ago, but today studies and experts continue to agree.
It is a superfood for many reasons, high protein and fat content, as well as its high energy intake make it an essential for breakfast: “It is the ideal time to benefit from all the qualities of natural cocoa since the body metabolizes simple sugars much better in the early hours than it does when night approaches ”, explains Dr. María Izquierdo, professor of Nutrition and Bromatology at the University of Barcelona and member of the scientific committee of the Cocoa Observatory.
Why shouldn’t cocoa be missing from the pantry?
- A shot of energy. The healthy fats that cocoa contains, in addition to its high content of caffeine and theobromine (alkaloids that increase dopamine and serotonin) increase energy levels and attention, even becoming a substitute for the obligatory morning coffee. Its high magnesium content also strengthens the muscles and delays fatigue.
- Avoid snacking. Cocoa is a satisfying food. Its high content of healthy fats ensures that when eating it, insulin peaks do not rise, causing more hunger. In addition, being rich in fiber, it is useful for regulating intestinal transit and reaching food without feeling hungry. Without a doubt, a delicious ally for those who want to lose weight.
- Improves brain functions. Its high content of polyphenols and antioxidants, increase blood flow to the brain. According to a study by the University of l’Aquila (Italy), people who drink natural cocoa every day show greater attention span, fewer brain injuries and rapid information processing.
- It puts you in a good mood. Rich in phenylethylamine, a substance that promotes the release of endorphins, responsible for feelings of happiness and pleasure. A new study by University College London, the University of Calgary and the Canadian Alberta health authority shows that this food can reduce the risk of depression up to four times.
- It keeps you young. Cocoa prevents oxidative stress, premature aging and many diseases, especially cardiovascular. The reason is that it is one of the foods with the highest amount of antioxidants, specifically flavonoids. Natural cocoa has between 10 and 50 mg of flavonoids per gram, more than red fruits, plums, green tea or red wine.
Choosing a good cocoa, the most important thing
The main problem is usually that we confuse cocoa and chocolate and they are not the same. In order to benefit from all of the above, it is necessary that what we consume is cocoa and that it has a series of characteristics:
- Natural cocoa: avoid alkalized cocoas. In the alkalization process, cocoa dissolves better, darkens and becomes less acidic on the palate, but it also loses an average of 60% of its antioxidants, according to the Cacao Observatory.
- Sugar-free: A 250-milliliter glass of milk with 25 grams of traditional soluble chocolate has almost 30 grams of sugar per glass, almost the total of the total recommendation for the day. Natural cocoa has no sugar, read the label carefully!
- Unprocessed: Natural cocoa does not have milk, oils or cocoa butter either, these ingredients so common in traditional tablets make chocolate a fatter and more caloric product than natural cocoa.
If you want to start including a good cocoa in your diet, we offer you our BIO Natural Soluble Cocoa, Hot Chocolate 100% natural, gluten-free, lactose-free. But above all, be very attentive to our social media in the next few days! We have great news that is going to revolutionize the world of chocolate.
In addition to dissolving it in milk, you can use cocoa in many dishes. Take a look at some of our favorite recipes:
Healthy chocolate ice cream
Healthy homemade Nutella
Beef in red wine with chocolate